This is the video we watched during our Sunday morning network gathering. Neil raises many of the issues we have addressed over the last 6 months in a clear and concise manor. I would encourage every simple church to take time to watch and discuss the points addressed in this video. I have typed out the 10 steps for going from a “movement to a monument” that are identified in the video as they were a little hard to read on the slides. They are as follows:
1. From Biblical Priorities to Non-Biblical Priorities – valuing methods and traditions sacred as scripture
2. From Leadership to Management – the people expect to be managed and those that led now simply manage the people they have.
3. From Volunteers to Employees – increased staff creates pressure to maintain levels of income
4. From Proactive to Protective – establishment of programs and policies to protect the organization and or its leadership.
5. From Aggressive Mission to Accumulation of Wealth – rise in assets and a decrease in risk-taking.
6. From Servant Leadership to Leaders Who Are Served – those in power are motivated to protect their positions.
7. From the Presence of Christ As Our Rule to Policies and Procedures – “that’s the way we’ve always done it before.”
8. From The Margins to The Mainstream – the movement takes on a sense of prominence by the majority rather than being active on the margins.
9. From Organic Growth (x) to Organizational (+) -the growth shifts from multiplication on the grassroots level to the addition of programs and staff.
10. From Flat Structure to Fat – building of hierarchical layers.