…Is to start a simple church!
I’m not sure where I read that, but I believe it to be true. With the New Year upon us why not trust God to take you on a discipleship journey and start a simple church? I have met with several folks who have expressed interest and a few that are going to make the leap in 2012. Why not join them? You never know what God will do unless you step out of the boat. Certainly don’t get out of the boat unless you hear Jesus calling you, but if you do hear him, then step out and allow God to take you to the land that he will show you!
If that is you, then allow me share a few thoughts with you on getting started remembering that there is no one set way in which God will begin a church:
1. Pick a date. Look at the calendar noting your travel plans and see when might be a good date for you to be able to start your simple church community.
2. Find a Partner. Prayerfully approach someone or another family about joining you on the simple church journey in 2012. Jesus sent disciples out in pairs. I think this is wise for starting a simple church as well.
3. Invite Others. Remember, you are not inviting people to a new church but to a way of life where you are growing in Christ in the context of community. Each of us will do this and communicate this differently. Ask Jesus and He will give you a sense of peace about this. The most important thing is to just obey Him as He leads. As for me, I’ve decided to intentionally approach my neighbors saying something like this:
“Hello! I live on your street and my wife and I have decided to do something for
our neighborhood this year. We are opening our home up on Sunday mornings
for breakfast to anyone who is looking to get to know people on the street and
also who desire to grow spiritually. This isn’t a church meeting, but an attempt
to build real community in our neighborhood and to encourage one another
in our spiritual journeys…wherever they are. If that is something that sounds
interesting to you or you would like to know more, give me a call or stop by my
home anytime. We’ll start our breakfasts this Sunday…”
4. Don’t Look Back. It may take several weeks or even months to see simple church organically emerge. It may take stopping some of your present “Christian activities” for the sake of being available to those around you. Don’t throw in the towel. Give God the entire year.
5. Connect With Others Leading Simple Church. This is why Simple Church Alliance is here. If you are not in Kentucky, then contact us anyway and we’ll help you find someone in your neck of the woods. You will need the face-to-face support and encouragement from others who share your call.
Let us know if you plan to start a simple church in 2012 so we can join you in prayer!
I’d love to hear your thoughts!